non-recurce queries on 8.2.2 pl 5

Peter.Pedersen at sas.dk Peter.Pedersen at sas.dk
Tue Nov 23 08:35:10 UTC 1999

Hi,

The idea was to have a static configuration on the firewall using the new
feature "forward zone" in order to simplify maintenance, since the peoble in
the DNS group do  not have access to the firewall.

The configuration on the firewall point to an number of different DNS
servers (maintained by partners) on an extra-net and on the intranet and we
do not want to make zone-transfers from internal or external DNS servers.
This configuartion minimize the maintenance on the firewall and the need for
bandwith (no zone transfer).

It is not yet in production, but everything seems to be fine except when the
DNS server recive a non-recurce query and it does not have the information
in cache.

Unfortunately this happen quite often, since the other partners access to
our DNS (on the extranet firewall) goes through their own DNS servers (using
forward-zone or internal root configuration). A DNS server makes non-recurce
queries in order to resolve names.

I have not found any way to force a DNS server to make recurce queries??

Any ideas???

Here is a small part of the named.conf

zone "sas.star-alliance.net" in {
	type forward;
	forward only;
	forwarders { 159.195.66.66; 159.195.77.77; };
	check-names warn;
};

zone "12.60.57.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type forward;
	forward only;
        forwarders { 159.195.66.66; 159.195.77.77; };
	check-names warn;
};

zone "ual.star-alliance.net" in {
	type forward;