Sender domain must exist

Dan Schlitt dan.schlitt at smarts.com
Mon Nov 22 16:46:39 UTC 1999

I find these all the time in our logs and they are almost certainly from
spammers. I haven't seen any that looked like legit e-mail to one of our
users.

But I have observed the opposite problem in sending mail (actually an
automated send to a mailinglist using majordomo) where some mail bounces
with "host not found" where it is pretty obvious the host should be found.
Doing the query using host finds the DNS records without problem.

My conjecture is that sendmail isn't waiting long enough for a response to
the DNS query and that might also be the case for your problem.

/dan

--

Dan Schlitt                       System Management Arts
dan at smarts.com                    14 Mamaroneck Avenue