Problem with multiple interfaces

Rainer Ginsberg Rainer.Ginsberg at de.bosch.com
Mon Nov 22 08:36:12 UTC 1999

Rainer Ginsberg (Rainer.Ginsberg at de.bosch.com) wrote in
comp.protocols.dns.bind:

>But when starting named, I get the following messages.
>
>named[4902]: bind(dfd=22, [192.168.1.1].53): Invalid argument

Jim Reid and Mark Andrews both pointed out, that this is an
OS specific issue.

My OS returns Invalid argument, or EINVAL, when
     EINVAL              namelen is  not  the  size  of  a  valid
                         address  for  the specified address fam-
                         ily.

     EINVAL              The  socket  is  already  bound  to   an
                         address.

It seems that the socket is already bound to an address. Even
after stopping named, netstat reports that port 53 on address
192.168.1.1 is listening. But lsof doesn't report any process
listening. Does someone know of another/better way to find out
the interfering process?

Regards and many thanks,
Rainer

--