How many domain can registered on named.conf of Bind 8.x?

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Fri Nov 19 02:32:38 UTC 1999

> > > Hi all!!!
> > >
> > > I want to manage a lot domain name on one DNS.
> > > This DNS is working with Bind 8.2.2.
> > > By the way how many domain I can register on named.conf?
> > > Could you help me?
> > > Thank you!!!
> >
> > 	16 million though you will need a 64 machine to achieve this.
> >
> > 	Mark
>
> 	That would be all zones, not just the "name" ones.

	Bill,
	       what point are you trying to make?  You register
	(delegate) both forward and reverse zones.  Bind will work,
	provided you have the resources to do it, with upto 2^24-1
	(~16M) zone statements in named.conf.

	We have reports back from sites running +100k zones in
	production.  Someone also ran up a million zone configuration.
	It was a little slow to load but with a bit of source tuning
	it came back to a reasonable time.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com