More info:Selective Forwarding

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Nov 17 21:25:17 UTC 1999

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 12:03:32PM +0100, Roger.Ewert at ica.se wrote:
> "I want to configure bind 8.2.2-pathlevel 3 so that i can seletive forward
> different domain request from a workstation to a specific DNS."
>
> If i am in the domain xx.yy.com (internal network only) and i asks for a
> domain address "host1.xx.yy.com" then it works but if i requests for  "
> host1.ee.mm.com"
> ( ee.mm.com is another different domain in my internal network, no
> subdomain)
> it doesn´t work.
> zone "ee.mm.com" {        // Selective forwarding to my other internal
> domains //
>                 type forward;
>                 forward only;
>                 forwarders { 10.128.1.7; };
> };

OK, first the obvious, silly questions.

Did you reload named after making all of these changes?  What are the
name and IP address of this name server?  Do the same name and IP
address appear when you enter 'nslookup' by itself?  Or 'dig'?  What is
in your /etc/resolv.conf?

Can you 'traceroute 10.128.1.7'?  Reliably?

What happens when you say 'nslookup dns1.ee.mm.com 10.128.1.7' or
'dig @10.128.1.7 dns1.ee.mm.com'?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B