[BIND 8.2] Negative TTL not working ???

Erwann Corvellec eco at club-internet.fr
Wed Nov 17 04:03:43 UTC 1999

  I switched from 8.2.1 to 8.2.2p5 and so I had to add a $TTL and to set
the negative responses TTL into my zone files. But it doesn't seem to
work...
  If I set a zone file like for example.com like this :
$TTL 2D
@       IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
                        1999111701      ; Serial
                        1D              ; Refresh
                        2H              ; Retry
                        4W              ; Expire
                        8H)             ; Negative responses TTL

  And If I dig it I won't get the right minimum TTL of 2 days !?!
# dig example.com

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> example.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      example.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
example.com.            8H IN SOA       ns1.example.com.
hostmaster.example.com. (
                                        1999111701      ; serial
                                        1D              ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        4W              ; expiry
                                        8H )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 4 msec
;; FROM: www to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 17 04:51:18 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 96

  Am I missing something ?

--