New to DNS, need direction

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 16 17:20:38 UTC 1999

On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 11:03:55PM -0700, Wenbin Li wrote:
> I am new to DNS.  I need somebody to point me to the right track.
>
> I have a single NT server connected to Internet via ADSL. I want to use
>
> this server as an Internet domain name server.  I am  in Vancouver,
>
> Canada.  But most domains I am going to put into DNS database are WEB
>
> sites in China.  In other words, all IP address for these domains are
> in the different IP block (Even different Country).  Can any body let
>
> me know if my DNS server can be configured to server those WEB sites
>
> hosted in  China.
>
> Mark

You may be interested to know that I saw this message twice in this
mailing list.

Your name server can list any names for which it is authoritative, and
point them to any IP addresses it wants.  However, if you are planning
to also implement reverse DNS for those sites, that will be much more
difficult.  The organizations responsible for those IP addresses must
either implement reverse DNS for them, or co-operate with you to do
this.

Since you are talking about DNS services for "Web sites", I suspect that
you already know that you cannot put URLs or Web addresses of any form
in conventional DNS.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B