Underscore Character

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Sat Nov 13 04:19:18 UTC 1999

	Kevin,
	       the checking is there for security reasons.
	Gethostbyaddr was being used to break into systems by
	returning arbitary text as the hostname.  We needed to
	tighten this and the only guaranteed safe output was to
	enforce RFC 952 + RFC 1123 strictly.  The rest is due to
	the principle of least astonishment.

	Mark

	P.S. If you wish to complain go complain to your OS vendor
	that your OS allowed you to use hostnames that were not
	RFC 952 + RFC 112 compliant in the first place.  Your OS
	was released after March 1982 (RFC 801 which has the same
	name rules as RFC 952, I couldn't find a online copy of 608)
	wasn't it?

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com