DNS External/Internal Shadow Domains?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Nov 11 21:07:00 UTC 1999

> Thanks for your response.  The issue is not to standard.
> I assume your message below assumes that the Internal name
> servers use Internal root name servers.  If so, I agree it
> seems pretty standard.  The only problem we are seeing with
> this configuration is that we would like to setup our Internal
> name servers as both the Internal root name server and Internal
> domain name server.  This causes some confusion concerning setting
> the "forward" option on the Internal name server.

As James pointed out, internal root configurations won't let you resolve
Internet domain names.

> If you setup an Internal root name server, can it exist on a name
> server that is setup as a forwarder?

Nope.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.