What's $TTL for??

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Nov 10 22:24:16 UTC 1999

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 04:34:47PM -0500, Frank Lepera wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the new $TTL zone file entry is about??
> I thought the SOA expire field was used for minimum TTL for the zone.

It was.  It also was used for negative caching time and one other thing
that escapes me right now.  Now, it's just the negative caching time,
and $TTL tells what the default time-to-live is for entries in that file
(which is not a value that has to be stored in an RR).  This is all to
support the RFC requirements.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B