? DNS UPDATE ? NSUPDATE ? DYNAMIC DNS ?

Mike Hunter mhunter at smc.omnes.slb.com
Wed Nov 10 20:33:58 UTC 1999

I have a situation where I need a DNS record to point to 3 different
servers.  I cannot use round-robin because it needs to resolve in a
specific order.  For example:

www1    in    a    10.10.10.1
www2    in    a    10.10.10.2
www3    in    a    10.10.10.3
www     in    a    10.10.10.1
        in    a    10.10.10.2
        in    a    10.10.10.3

I need to have DNS to resolve, in order, the first ip address
10.10.10.1, and if it fails, then resolve to 10.10.10.2.  If it fails on

the second, then resolve to the third (10.10.10.3).  All automatically.
We have looked into possibly using NSUPDATE and writing scripts, but was

wondering if there is any way this can be done automatically.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

--
Mike Hunter                           Schlumberger Omnes
UNIX / WAN Element Manager            5599 San Felipe Suite 400
Fax: 713-513-3150                     Email: mhunter at smc.omnes.slb.com