AXFR errors

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 8 18:17:41 UTC 1999

In article <38270177.E56B3E8D at rmchcs.org>,
Tom Gonzales  <tgonza at rmchcs.org> wrote:
>I have been using BIND 4.x for a long time, with Linux as the Master and
>2 NT servers as secondaries. Everything had been working very well until
>I went to Bind 8.x. I now get messages on Linux similar to the following
>when my NT servers try to update their DNS records:
>
>Nov  8 09:46:42 dns-svr1 named[73]: unapproved AXFR from
>[192.192.192.19].2929 for
> "anywhere.org" (not authoritative)
>
>My SOA in named.hosts is correct and I have an allow-transfer option in
>named.conf for my secondaries.

There's a syntax error somewhere in the zone file that's causing your
master server to declare itself non-authoritative.  There should be warning
messages in the log when you start on named on dns-svr1, giving the line
numbers of the errors.

The most common error when converting from BIND 4 to BIND 8 is the change
in the default for the "check-names" option: prior to 4.9.5 underscores
were allowed in hostnames by default, but now they're rejected by default.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com