Easy question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Sat Nov 6 07:10:38 UTC 1999

In article <8008em$mo$1 at nntp6.atl.mindspring.net>,
Alex <test.AT.webderland.DOT.com at nntp6.atl.mindspring.net> wrote:
>Can someone tell me how I can replace 1 line of text in 290 db files?  Is
>there some sort of grep command or vi command that will recursively go thru
>each db.domain.com file in my /var/named dir and replace a current name
>server with a new name server?

This seems more like a Unix question than a BIND question.  How you do this
is independent of what the files are used for.  Any way, the simplest way
is:

perl -i.bak -e 's/old/new/' db.*

If you don't have perl, use:

for file in db.*; do
  sed 's/old/new/' $file > $file.new
  mv $file $file.bak
  mv $file.new $file
done

>Please email me if you know!

I hope I figured out the right way to unmunge your address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com