NT-vs-UNIX

Paul B. Brown pbrown at btechnet.com
Thu Nov 4 23:48:00 UTC 1999

Chris,

Why not compare features, point by point, of a series of DNS products.
Point out that products like QUIP, by Lucent, offer the "next generation"
of dynamic DNS.  Your client is probably only looking at ease of use based
on his/her NT server experience.  Open up the playing field by getting a
real (complete) list of requirements and then detail out a list of
alternatives.

If you are simply hot on BIND's UNIX flavors then you suffer from the same
thing your client does, just in reverse.  Lay out the business case one
point at a time and pretty soon you will come down to a choice or three
that will meet his needs.  Leave it up to him from them on.

You can also say that BIND is the oldest, most used, DNS on the planet.
Also point out that it is most stable on a UNIX platform.  Probably DU or
Solaris would be the top choices.  If he wants production quality,
there is nothing like BIND.

What does everyone else say?

Paul

Paul B. Brown                          pbrown at btechnet.com
President
Brown Technologies Network, Inc.       http://www.btechnet.com/

Unix Systems Administration            "Sailing is a state of mind . . . ."