subdomain problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Nov 4 21:40:01 UTC 1999

In article <7vsiv5$8a8$2 at news.kabelfoon.nl>,
Nicky in 't Veld <hkv at caiw.nl> wrote:
>I've made a subdomain, but when I ping it on name it see the IP adress
>but my server is not responding.

If the server isn't responding to a ping, it seems like you didn't
configure the server's IP address properly.  This isn't a DNS problem.

>What is the correct procedure to make a subdomain and
>let it point to a directory on the same server?

Now you're talking about a web server, I presume.  This has nothing to do
with DNS.  Check your web server's documentation, looking for things like
"virtual host" and "DocumentRoot".  The folks in
comp.infosystems.www.servers.* should be able to advise you on how to
configure your specific server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com