Wildcard MX breaks A record

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Nov 3 16:17:43 UTC 1999

In article <525396821.941643115822.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>,
 <Christine.Tran at east.sun.com> wrote:
>[Bind 8.2p1 on Solaris 2.6]
>
>Experts,
>
>I have searched the FAQ & Archives of last 3 months and did not see this
>mentioned.  I need to know why this does not work after the wildcard MX
>was added.
>

>; zone foo.com
>@  IN   SOA .... blah blah
>
>   IN   NS  ns.foo.com.
>   IN   MX  10 mail.foo.com.
>*  IN   MX  10 mail.foo.com.
>   IN   A   1.2.3.4
>
>ftp	IN	A	1.2.3.5
>dialup	IN	A	1.2.3.6
>www	IN	CNAME	foo.com.
>
>ftp and dialup resolves fine.  but the foo.com A RR and its dependent,
>www, does not resolve.  Here's what it looks like:

There is no foo.com A record.  foo.com has an SOA, NS, and MX record, * has
an MX and an A record, ftp and dialup have A records, and www has a CNAME
record.

Did you think that the line:

     IN A 1.2.3.4

was the A record for foo.com?  An indented line is interpreted as another
record for the same name as the previous line, which in this case was "*".
If you want an A record for foo.com, you should either put that A record
one line earlier (so that it will be grouped with the other records for
'@', which stands for the current origin), or change it to one of:

@   IN A 1.2.3.4

or

foo.com.  IN A  1.2.3.4