Dynamic Updates on BIND 8.1.2

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Nov 2 23:40:28 UTC 1999

> I have 1 master and 2 secondary nameservers and I'am looking for a way to
> update my secondary nameservers automatically according to the master one.
>
> I mean that when I add a new domain to the master nameserver, I want
> secondary ones to have same domain.
>
> I checked documents and found "allow-update { address_match_list };" entry
> in zone statement, but I cannot figure out how to configure master and/or
> secondary servers to send/receive this update information. I also checked
> RFC2136 (DNS Dynamic Updates) but still confused.
>
> Thank you,
>
> bytheway:
>
> master nameserver: SunOS 5.6 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 [bind8.1.2]
> secondaries: Linux 2.2.10 [bind8.1.2]
>
> --
> Hasan Umit Ezerce

Several people have asked about this in the last week, but it is still
not possible, even in 8.2.2, which is the current version of BIND [to
which you really should upgrade].  Dynamic updates are done within
existing domains, to allow IP addresses to be dynamically allocated.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B