Apache Won't see DNS

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Tue Nov 2 06:09:17 UTC 1999

> Hello everyone I finally went through the DNS howto and understood most of wh
> at was being said.
> I took the example and applied it to my virtual hosts and they all worked fin
> e then all of a sudden my Apache wouldn't supply the proper path.  It worked
> fine all day and then out of the blue it doesn't work anymore. I killed the h
> ttpd process restarted it and I get

> [Mon Nov  1 13:51:05 1999] [error] Cannot resolve host name headcounter.com -
> --
> ignoring!

	On Hold

> [Mon Nov  1 13:51:06 1999] [error] Cannot resolve host name afterimageds.com
> ---
>  ignoring!

	No A record.

> [Mon Nov  1 13:51:07 1999] [error] Cannot resolve host name mynetstore.net --
> - i
> gnoring!

	No A record, secondary (OPAL.NBNET.NB.CA) lame.

> The mx records work fine when I check the email's I get no problems.  Here is
>  one zone file that I have.
> Can someone tell me if there is a problem with this.
> @  IN SOA virtual.virtualworldinc.com. hostmaster.virtualworldinc.com. (
>    1999080903 ; serial
>    3600 ; refresh
>    900 ; retry
>    1209600 ; expire
>    43200 ; default_ttl
>    )
>    NS ns
>    NS virtual.virtualworldinc.com.
> localhost  A 127.0.0.1
> ns  IN A 207.179.141.20
>    MX 10 mail
>    MX 20 mail.virtualworldinc.com.
>    HINFO "Pentium II 400" "Linux"
> www  IN A 207.179.141.20
>
> mail  IN A 207.179.141.20
>    MX 10 mail
>    MX 20 mail.virtualworldinc.com.
> www  IN NS virtual.virtualworldinc.com.
> ftp   A 207.179.141.20
>    MX 10 mail
>    MX 20 mail.virtualworldinc.com.

$ORIGIN headcounter.com.
@		SOA	virtual.virtualworldinc.com. hostmaster.virtualworldinc.com. (
			1999080903 3600 900 1209600 43200 )
		NS	VIRTUAL.VIRTUALWORLDINC.COM.
		NS	OPAL.NBNET.NB.CA.
		A	207.179.141.20
		MX	10 mail.virtualworldinc.com.
		HINFO	"Pentium II 400" "Linux"
ftp		CNAME	@
www		CNAME	@
mail		CNAME	@
localhost	A	127.0.0.1

Only 1 MX record as mail.headcounter.com and mail.virtualworldinc.com are
the same IP address.

CNAMES for ftp, www and mail as they are the same IP address.

Localhost is not needed unless headcounter.com is in a search list.

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com