DNS SCO Domain mix-up

Marc Redmile-Gordon marc at carsplus.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 10:41:26 UTC 1999

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response, I shall try to be more helpful:

if I ping REMOTE host  "X"  -  then the screen displays: "pinging
X at OURdomain.com"

"OURDOMAIN" is NOT the domain of the destined host.

Unfortunately I cannot post details for security reasons ( I'm sure you
understand ) but, I should be able to indicate how they are configured...

named.hosts contains all local hosts, and remote hosts in the same format
 different network ip's though ) :

hostname        IN A    IPaddress

I do not include the domain name here.

named.rev contains entries in the format:

XX ( last ip octet of local node )                    IN PTR
HOSTNAME.OURDOMAIN.COM
and remote hosts as:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( full ip adderss in reverse )  IN PTR
HOST.DOMAIN.CO.UK

Normal ?

I think our named.conf is just a standard issue - would you still like to
see it ?

Best regards,
Marc.