dig doesn't respect "query-source address * port 53;"

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Mon Nov 1 13:46:35 UTC 1999

Using BIND v8.2.1 on my Linux v2.2.x system, I've configured my
nameserver to only use port 53 (for the sake of firewall security)
with:

        query-source address * port 53;

Everything has been running great with this configuration until today,
when I attempted to update the root namesever list with the dig
(domain information groper) utility:

        dig @a.root-servers.net . ns > db.cache

Perusing the system log shows that an outbound packet was rejected by
my (ipchains) firewall.  It seems that dig sent that packet from a
high port number, not from port 53.

The dig documentation shows that a port number may be specified as the
*destination* port, but I see no indication that the source port can
be set.

Is there any way to have dig respect my desire to use only port 53 for
DNS traffic?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***