Unregistered local domain yet internet access?

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Jun 23 17:48:19 UTC 1999

"Michael C. Cambria" wrote:

> My cable provider will not let me register a domain name (at least not
> yet.)  Is it possible to use an unregistered domain for internal
> connections (e.g. local web access, inter LAN email) yet also allow
> systems on the LAN go to the cable DNS server for non-local names?
> (Preferably running BIND on one machine)
>
> I have no need for the 'net to see my LAN (at least until I can get a
> domain registered).  I run nat so the LAN can share the one IP address
> the cable people can spare.
>
> If so, are there any "howtos" on how to get this up quickly?

DNS has no clue about the difference between a registered name and a non
registered name except for the fact the root servers know about the top
level names (and a bit more). I assume you are referring to cable
modems. In this envrionment, normally my customers use DHCP to send a
private address to the modem, and public addresses to the device or
devices behind it. Since you are the one deciding which DNS server each
machine will use, you might want to direct internal machines to an
internal server and the otherss to point directly at the external DNS
server. Or.. You could point all devices at the internal server and use
a forwarder definition on that server to route unknown requests to the
outside DNS server.

On our DNS/DHCP server (Network Registrar), normally you create a pair
of scopes with the same giaddr for the client's router. Then each scope
will have a policy containing the specific nameserver for that type of
client.

Michael

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC (but on vacation)