DNS- Reverse lookup

kpchalla at hss.hns.com kpchalla at hss.hns.com
Sat Jun 19 10:27:00 UTC 1999

Hi ALL

I have a problem with reverse lookup of one subdomain that uses an NT Server as
a primary. I shall try my best to explain my problem.

I have one Subdomain which is completely on DHCP. I have a NT server running
WINS/DNS and DHCP. This server is the primary for this zone say "xyz.abc.com".

Now, the problem is that the primary DNS server for all the clients in my
company is a unix server which is primary for the domain "abc.com". The unix
server has the NS record for the domain "xyz.abc.com". Also "xyz.abc.com" is
added to the *search list* in resolv.conf. So there is no problem resolving the
names of the users in the "xyz.abc.com". How do I do this for reverse lookups???
I Can't make the unix server the secondary for the "xyz.abc.com" as the NT
server resolves everything dynamically from the WINS database.

I hope I am clear on this,

Thanks in Advance,

Kali.