SRV records in BIND?

Levon Esibov levone at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 17 20:15:10 UTC 1999

>Microsoft's TSIG-GSS UPDATE method of inserting SRV RR's is not publically
>documented and has not been implemented outside of Win2K.

The Windows 2000 Domain Controllers use standard (as described in RFC 2136)
dynamic update messages for registration of SRV records. In addition to
this, they may use GSS-TSIG UPDATE algorithm to add RRs (not only SRV) to
the DNS servers that also support GSS-TSIG UPDATE algorithm (e.g. Windows
2000 DNS server). I'd like to emphasize that in order to support SRV RRs
dynamic registration initiated by Windows 2000 Domain Controllers, the DNS
servers are NOT required to support GSS-TSIG.

We have tested and confirmed that BIND 8.1.2. provides sufficient support
for Windows 2000 Active Directory.

BTW: TSIG-GSS UPDATE method is documented in "GSS Algorithm for TSIG
(GSS-TSIG)" Internet draft
(http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-gss-tsig-03.txt).

Thanks,
Levon.