network is unreachable

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Jun 16 21:58:39 UTC 1999

Ron Bombard wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm running Redhat 5.2 linux, with BIND 8.1.2.  The nameserver is
> configured as a cache-only server.  I connect to my ISP with PPP.
>
> Following a DNS-Howto, I was trying to use my ISP's nameserver for
> lookups on the internet, and use my hostfile for local lookups.  should
> be easy right? huh!
>
> When I try to send mail to another host on my network, sendmail gives
> the error: Deferred: network is unreachable

This indicates a problem going to the internet.
What happens if you try to ping or traceroute to the ip address of the
destination.

> When I do a nslookup on any host on our network (including local host),
> I get the error:
> *** Can't find server name for address 198.69.28.2: No response from
> server
> *** Can't find server name for address 198.69.28.3: No response from
> server
> *** Default servers are not available

Either you can't reach the server for 168.69.28.3 or the server for the
reverse domain is not correct. I am under the impression the "network is
unreachable" indicates a network connectivity issue, not a DNS one.

> My etc/resolv.conf file is as follows:
>
>         search netheaven.com    #ISP's hostname
>         nameserver 198.69.28.2  #ISP's nameserver ip
>         nameserver 198.69.28.3  #ISP's backup nameserver ip
>
> My etc/host.conf file is as follows:
>
>         order hosts, bind
>         multi on
>
> My etc/service.switch file is as follows:
>
>         hosts    files
>         aliases  files

This won't help. You need it to be "hosts dns files"

Otherwise DNS won't be used.

> My /etc/host file has all my local hosts in it.
>
> Now, everything works fine as far as when I'm connected to my ISP. I can
> browse the net, send out external email, do nslookups of anyone. except
> local hosts.

nslookup doesn't use the host table.

Michael