More BIND 4.9.2 to BIND 8.2 problems

Andrew J. Lillie alillie at corp.jps.net
Wed Jun 16 18:19:09 UTC 1999

First, thanks to everyone who responded to my questions yesterday about
BIND8.2 crashing (installing patch1 fixed it).

Now I have two problems with BIND8.2 running.  But, first some quick
history:
Our old nameserver was running BIND4.9.2.  When it died, I just copied all
my zone (.db) files and my named.boot file to my new server which is setup
with BIND8.2.
I ran named-bootconf on my old named.boot to get the BIND8.2-style
named.conf
Then, I start up named.  The two problems I have are:
1) My syslog shows a "no default TTL" error for each zone as it loads.  Then
I get a "using SOA minimum" for the each zone.
2) And, once all my zones are loaded, my "root" zone "jps.net" will not
resolve to authoritative look ups.

If I stop the BIND8.2 binary of and start BIND4.9.2 on the new server
(pointing to named.boot instead of named.conf of course), using the same
zone files, I don't have either of the problems.

I'd really like to start using BIND8.2, but I need to solve these problems
first.  I've consulted DNS & BIND (edition 3) and it seems that my zone
files are formatted correctly...but maybe not.

Can anyone help???

Thanks,
Andrew J. Lillie
JPSnet Network Operations