ns_resp: query(www.bonnellandson.com)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 15 16:09:16 UTC 1999

In article <919C0B49208AD211987A006094EA36147E32FA at nbsjexm1.nbtel.nb.ca>,
Nyborg, Dana <dana.nyborg at nbtel.nb.ca> wrote:
>Hi everyone;
>	Wandering if someone can help with this question.  I have taken over
>responsibility for the name server for a local ISP.  As is the case here, a
>new domain name has been registered using my name servers.  The potential
>customer just forgot to let me know about it.  I see entries in my DNS
>syslogs like the one below on a regular basis:
>
>Jun 15 00:05:22 opal named[20584]: ns_resp: query(www.bonnellandson.com)
>contains our address (OPAL.NBNET.NB.CA:198.164.30.2) learnt
>(A=nbnet.nb.ca:NS=195.8.99.11)
>
>The question is;  Where are these queries initiated from?  Are the roots /
>Internic checking to see if the zone files have been setup and that there
>are valid SOAs?

The queries are initiated from users trying to browse
www.bonnellandson.com.  They send the query to their local nameserver,
which gets a referral to your nameservers from the root servers, and then
sends the query to you.

The InterNIC does not check that the servers are properly configured before
adding the delegation records.  A few years ago they had announced a policy
to check for lame delegations (both before adding the delegation records,
and then periodically afterward), but they never implemented it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com