Forwarding to a non-standard port

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jun 15 17:14:49 UTC 1999

I agree with what Jim said in his reply, plus:

<Christine.Tran at East.Sun.COM> wrote in message
news:<492532066.929463184359.JavaMail.qtran at hutch.East.Sun.COM>...
> I can turn off recursion for queries from outside but it's unfriendly and
is it
> standard practice these days?

You can't turn off recursion for queries from the outside--at least, not
until BIND 8.2.1 comes out with Steinar Haug's allow-recursion substatement.
Recursion is currently either on or off globally.  So if you want to offer
recursion internally but not externally, you have no choice but to run two
nameds.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.