Restrticting Zone Transfers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jun 14 20:01:40 UTC 1999

> I was trying to restrict zone transfers from my primary DNS server. I used
> the allow-transfer {111.111.111.111 222.222.222.222}; line in the options
> section of named. I am running BIND 8. The nameserver still seems to do a
> zone transfer to machines on other ip addresses than the two listed in the
> allow-transfer option.
>
> Does this need to be placed in its own options{}; statement, or can I list
> it as I did in the opening options section in named.conf?

First, this option must appear in either the options{} statement or a
zone{} statement.

Second, the host names or addresses should be followed by ';'s:
	options {
		allow-transfer {111.111.111.111; 222.222.222.222; };
	};

If you look at the 'syslogd' output, you should see an entry for this
error every time 'named' starts up or refreshes.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B