named.conf "option forwarder" vs. resolv.conf "nameserver"?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Mon Jun 14 04:35:42 UTC 1999

Can someone explain to this DNS/BIND newbie the functional distinction
between the "options forwarder" in named.conf and the "nameserver" in
resolv.conf?

To me, they sound like they act identically: if a name cannot be resolved
locally, the specified remote host is called upon to do the resolution.

I currently have my RedHat v6.0 system (/w BIND v8.2) configured with the
addresses of 2 nameservers in /etc/named.conf.  If a name can't be resolved
from my local cache, the request for resolution is forwarded to either the
primary or secondary nameserver of my ISP, both listed in /etc/resolv.conf.
I'm wondering, though, if there would be any advantage in having the
addresses of those nameservers in "options forward" statements.  Would
there?

Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****