Bind 8.x will it ever be port to NT

David R. Conrad David_Conrad at isc.org
Sun Jun 13 20:08:19 UTC 1999

Hi,

> Both.  One of the major design goals of BIND 8.2, as I understand it, is
> (better) portability to Windows NT.

Cool!  I get to correct Cricket :-)

8.2's major reason for existance was the inclusion of a preliminary
version of DNSSEC from the fine folks at Network Associate's TIS Labs,
funded by DISA.  We took this as an opportunity to add a bunch of other
bells and whistles (see http://www.isc.org/bind-status.html for
details).  Any improvements for portability to NT were coincidental.  We
have been working with folks at Checkpoint, Nortel, and others to see if
we can get a version of BIND 8 for NT but we can't be definitive about
when/whether it will be released -- there are a lot of details (not all
of the technical) that need to be worked out and almost all of ISC's
resources are currently being applied to the development of BIND version
9.

One of the major design goals of BIND version 9 is better portability
(not just to NT, but to everything -- for example, one of our primary
platforms will be IBM's AS/400...)

Regards,
-drc