Help

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Fri Jun 11 14:21:09 UTC 1999

It is traditional to describe the contents of a message in the subject
line. Since this is a "help" mailing list, a subject of help isn't
clear.

Ashok Kumar B S wrote:

> Hai all,
>
> Sorry if my question is lame.
> Is it possible for a DNS server only to query to Internet but not answer any
> queries from Internet ?

Sure,

1. Have your router block it, so your server doesn't even see it.
2. Use secure-zone txt records
3. configure your DNS server (if possible, you didn't tell us which one
you use) to not allow this.
4. Don't give the internet a NS record that points to this nameserver.

> I have a different DNS server to answer the DNS queries from internet. If so
> how ?

You server is not generally going to be queried by the internet, unless
another server told people that it was authoritative for the domain.

If you want a server to respond to queries from the internet, you
register it when you register you domain.

> Any help is highly appreciated.
> Pls. let me know some useful resources on the net where I can get answers.

Buy the book "DNS And BIND" by Cricket Liu and Paul Albitz (3rd edition
is latest)

Michael Voight