Slaves as masters, and BIND8 NOTIFY

triplikeido at my-deja.com triplikeido at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 9 21:58:00 UTC 1999

I'm dealing with BIND 8 for the first time, and I have the following
situation:

Server "texas" is the primary master for all things American.

Server "london" is the primary master for all things Euro, but is the
slave for all things American.

Server "yorkshire" is a slave to "london". It considers "london" to be
it's master for all things, Euro and American.

So if someone in Europe needs info on a US machine, "london" does a
zone-transfer from "texas". "yorkshire" also has the information, but it
gets it second-hand from "london".

Now that I've installed BIND 8, a change to an American RR on "texas"
causes a NOTIFY to be sent out, which "london" receives. The problem, of
course, is that "london" doesn't NOTIFY "yorkshire".

I have "DNS & BIND, 3rd Ed.", and it states "BIND 8 slaves don't send
NOTIFY messages unless explicitly configured to do so."

Okay, fine. How do I configure them to do so? I don't have to go around
putting also-notify in each of the zones, do I?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/