Domain name to directory translation

Wayne R Miller webmaster at ciblink.com
Wed Jun 9 03:40:49 UTC 1999

Hi....

This may be a silly question by how do hosting services like webprovider.com
and freeservers.com translate domain names directly to a directory without
using a different IP number?

For example, I have several domains with each that all ping the same IP
number yet the domain names translate to different directories.....

Try it yourself...ping any of the following:

w9mi.webprovider.com
lwmiller.webprovider.com
fmi.webprovider.com
www.forsalebyowners.com

The all return the same IP number (ending in 83) yet all are different
directories on the webprovider.com server.

I know how to make a webserver re-direct like this...but it still requires a
different IP number for each domain and/or host.

I this possible being done by routing each domain or host name to a
different port on the same IP number.  I run MS DNS server on NT 4 and
haven't seen any examples of how this is done.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post here or (better) reply to webmaster at ciblink.com

Thanks in advance!

Wayne R Miller