Help re: MX record

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jun 7 18:00:11 UTC 1999

> My problem is:  how can I get mail sent to *@jalajas.com sent to my
> pre-existing me at mediaone.net email address?
>
> Is it as simple as putting an MX record in my SOA listing at
> granitecanyon?  ...

No.

>	     ..?  What would it look like (" *.jalajas.com. IN MX 10
> me.mediaone.net. ; EXTREF GLOBALOK "  does NOT seem to work)?  Can I
	jalajas.com.	IN	MX 10	me.mediaone.net.
	*.jalajas.com.	IN	MX 10	me.mediaone.net.

"EXTREF GLOBALOK"???  What kind of a comment is that?  ;-}

>							   ...?  Can I
> pick the mail server info off of mail headers?  ...

What kind of mail server info are you thinking of?

>					     ..?  Must I get MediaOne's
> mail servers modified to accept the user at jalajas.com mail (I don't think
> they support such extra effort)?  ...

Yes, absolutely.  In fact, you should ask their permission before
pointing any MX records and such at them.

>				.?  Is there some other trick I can use,
> such as installing a mail server on my web server?

If your web server is up all the time, this should work.  If it's any
of the Unixes or Freenixes, the mail server software [like the web
server software] came free on your system, of course.  If not, the
system load may be unbearable.

Be aware that, at the level of expertise you are showing, your web site
will be hacked within a year, and your mail server [if on the same
system] compromised.  ;-}  This is not intended to reflect poorly on
you personally; this is true of most beginners.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B