can't find 'change directory' in V8

billw1955 at my-deja.com billw1955 at my-deja.com
Sun Jun 6 12:51:34 UTC 1999

In V4, I created a hierarchical structure of included named.boot files
and zone files to handle a large number of .us zones. There's a state
level, city level, and then as many as two domain levels below that. I
used the directory statement heavily to make relative changes in the
current directory to navigate the hierarchy. The highest level
named.boots contain only directory statements and includes of the next
level down. The conversion utility supplied with V8 doesn't produce a
useful result from those files. The lower level named.boots generally
contain primary statements, but some have directory and include
statements as well. The conversion utility converts the primary
statements to zone statements as advertised and, again, nothing useful
becomes of the directory and include statements.

No 'change directory' mechanism is obvious to me in V8. The directory
substatement of the options statement won't solve the problem - only the
first occurrence of option is parsed - nor have I found a symbol
substitution mechanism. All I can see to do is to fill my hierarchy of
(now) named.confs full of absolute pathnames for zone files and I find
that very ugly.

Any suggestions?

Bill.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/