What file starts Linux Named daemon?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jun 4 17:48:00 UTC 1999

> Yes, sorry, badly worded question.
>
> I wanted to know how Redhat itself starts the named daemon. I'll check out the
> rc.d and init.d files.

In /etc/rc.d/init.d, there is a file called 'named'.  It checks for the
existence of a named.boot file, and if it's there, executes 'named'.
[Actually, it implements the whole "stop"/"start" thing from System V
Unix.]

If you're using BIND 8, you'll want to change it to check for a
named.conf file, instead.  Or, later versions of RH distributions may
already do that.

This file is never called directly by the system.  Instead, as you go
to various run levels, 'init' finds calls to /etc/rc.d/rc in the
/etc/inittab file.  This calls all files in /etc/rc.d/rcN.d that start
with 'S' or 'K' [where N is the run level, 0-6].  If a file starts with
'S', the shell command file is given the argument "start".  If a file
starts with "K", the shell command file is given the argument "stop".

The following symbolic links to init.d/named exist:
	rc0.d/K10named -> ../init.d/named
	rc1.d/K10named -> ../init.d/named
	rc2.d/K10named -> ../init.d/named
	rc3.d/S55named -> ../init.d/named
	rc4.d/S55named -> ../init.d/named
	rc5.d/S55named -> ../init.d/named
	rc6.d/K10named -> ../init.d/named

In other words, when entering run levels 3, 4, or 5, 'named' is
started; but when entering run levels 0, 1, 2, or 6, 'named' is
stopped.  More information on "run levels" is included in the
documentation on 'init'.

Hope this helps.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B