DNS lookup from secondary unix to NT Primary

Michael Milligan milli at acmebw.com
Fri Jun 4 10:44:52 UTC 1999

>I have  a domain called "abc.com", whose   Primary DNS server is on HP-Unix
bind
>4.9.7 and   one of the secondary DNS servers is a  NT DNS ( NT 4.0 SP4 ).
Now I
>want to float a subnet that is completely on DHCP. So on the Secondary NT
DNS I
>have DHCP and WINS running and the DNS has an additional primary zone
called
>"xyz.abc.com". Since DHCP is being used the primary zone "xyz.abc.com" uses
WINS
>for DNS resolution. The unix server has a secondary zone file for the
>"xyz.abc.com" domain.
>Now, since the resolution for the domain "xyz.abc.com" is dynamic on the NT
>primary, the updates can't come to the secondary Unix server( reason - On
the NT
>server if I open the zone file for "xyz.abc.com" it would not contain the
>entries of the hosts in that domain as it uses WINS dynamically to resolv
the
>name requests ). So I tried to use a forwarder on the unix server. in the
boot
>file I put the IP address of the NT primary at the first position in the
>forwarders list. According to this configuration if a name lookup comes to
the
>unix server for a host in domain "xyz.abc.com" the request needs to be
forwarded
>to the NT primary and gets resolved and THIS IS NOT HAPPENING.
>According to my understanding of forwarders, the forwarded request goes to
the
>NT primary as a resolver client and should be resolved even though the DNS
is
>dynamic.

To make this work, you have to remove the xyz.abc.com zone from the HP-UX
box (it doesn't know how to talk to WINS to fake DNS records), and add an NS
record to the abc.com zone that points only to the NT DNS server for the
xyz.abc.com zone.  That way, only the NT DNS server will handle the
xyz.abc.com zone and it knows to talk to WINS to fake the DNS information
(what a hack!).  Removing the xyz.abc.com zone from the HP-UX box and just
putting in an NS record (essentially, just a pointer to the NT box) will
cause the HP-UX server to ask the NT box for stuff in the xyz.abc.com zone.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan - Acme Byte & Wire LLC - milli at acmebw.com