BIND Version reveal.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jun 3 14:20:58 UTC 1999

> Hi,
>
> I read that from some security papers that determination of DNS Version
> Number can provide attacker necessary advantage of known security problem.

	Yes, though from experience most attacks are done blind.
	The best way to avoid a successful attack is to stay current.
	Hiding the version may make things a little harder but it is
	still possible to determine which version of BIND you are
	running just by probing with regular queries.  Each version
	has its own peculiarities, even with version.bind disabled.

> My DNS is a 8.1.2. How can I mask the version number from being revealing
> by user without modifying and recompiling the ns_req.c. ...Maybe I am a bit
> greedy, ...just a wish....I want it yet able to tell me which version it is
> using a convention method.

	options {
		version "replacement string";
	};