Split DNS on Linux

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jun 2 18:26:04 UTC 1999

> Not a serious message but then again we all need a break now and then
> but why - if Bind 4 went to Bind 8 - shouldn't we be going to Bind 12
> next?
>
> M at t :o)

Only if you're' thinking in a strictly linear or arithmetic progression.

Artistic POV: 4 -> 8 by closing the bottom loop and rotating 45 degrees
right.  The next version should start another loop and rotate another
45 degrees right.  Something like a lower-case "g" in some fonts.

Linguistic POV: "four" -> "eight", letters increased by one [consonant]
but the initial letter decreased by one, so the next version should be
[something like] "dearth".

Erk.

Quadratic POV: 4 -> 8 via 4^2/2; so the next version is 8^2/2 = 32.

Minimalist POV: Let's just start back with v 1 again.

Geometric POV: 4 -> 8 via 4^1.5, so next version is 16*sqrt(2).

Mod10 POV: 4 + 4 -> 8, 8 + 4 -> 2.  next version is 2.

Realistic POV: I think I read somewhere that 5-7 were "internal"
		versions, possibly at DEC.  I can't verify this.

Humorless POV: Cut this out, let's just get on with it.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B