Help re: MX record

sabbah22 at my-deja.com sabbah22 at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 2 16:47:26 UTC 1999

In article <375483A9.E51760BD at cisco.com>,
  Michael Voight <mvoight at cisco.com> wrote:

> sabbah22 at my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have set up DNS using BIND (sort of a franken-config but thats
> > another story) and we're having a problem getting the rest of the
> > internet to able to send mail to our domain. (in a way..)
> >
> > >From the outside, I can send mail to "me at mail.domain.com", where
> > mail.domain.com is specified in our DNS files and exists as a host,
> > however I would rather be able to send mail to "me at domain.com"
instead.

> > Is this what the MX record does?  We have one of those so that must
not
> > be the problem.
> >
> > Is this possible?  It seems it *would* be with pretty much every
other
> > domain doing this, obviously.  I just can't figure out where to put
it.

> Do you have an mx record for domain.com?
> What does it point to?
> Does that machine know it is supposed to accept mail for domain.com?
> (It must be configured on some machines)
>
> What happens when this machine is sent mail?
>
> Michael

Well, for ourdomain.net, which is one of 5 files for 3 subdomains our
DNS handles, the file contains one MX record as follows:

*      IN   MX   10    Mail

And then of course all the A records, like so...

doodah       IN    A     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and so on...

So to be honest, I'm not sure where it points unless to the obvious, the
machine named mail.ourdomain.net.

When mail is sent to the domain (user at ourdomain.net), the sending server
barfs with "Host unknown".

Thanks again for any assistance.  We have someone else reading
O'Reilly's DNS & BIND whose authors I see frequently posting here.   Is
the answer in the book perhaps?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/