Bind, firewall & forward

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 2 14:27:05 UTC 1999

In article <XFMail.990528204213.stephane.barraud at pep-esp.fr>,
=?us-ascii?Q?St=E9phane?= Barraud  <stephane.barraud at pep-esp.fr> wrote:
>I've configured bind on the internal server (IP 192.168.300.15) with the
>following named.conf :
>
>options {
>        directory "/var/named";
>        query-source address 1.10.10.5 port 53;

The query-source address has to be an address of this machine.  1.10.10.5
is the bastion host, so it obviously isn't one of this machine's addresses.
I'm surprised there wasn't a warning in the log (or didn't you look?).

That should be

	query-source address * port 53

as it doesn't seem like you need to hard-code an address in your
configuration (but if you do, it should be 192.168.300.15).  Furthermore,
does your bastion host have a restriction against accepting DNS queries
from any port?  If not, why do you need to specify "port 53" instead of
using the default source port?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com