adding intranet to internet

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jun 1 20:25:01 UTC 1999

> We have an intranet with the domain xyz.
> Also we have two location. locationa.xyz and locationb.xyz
>
> On both network there is running a root server.
> On locationa is running a primary master and on locationb is running a
> secondary master.
>
> Now we will connect to the internet with a firewall (masquerating ip)
>
> The clients now on the intranet and the firewall works fine, if i told
> him the dns-server
> of my ISP. But if I configure also my intranet-dns-address, the
> internet-connection fails!
>
> How can I solve this problem? The user must be able to resolve internet
> and intranet-names!

Remove the root from your internal servers.  It is causing external
queries to fail.

Make your servers authoritative only for your internal domains and your
internal reverse DNS [using, one hopes, the RFC 1918 "private internet"
addresses].  Have them forward ALL OTHER requests out via your
firewall.  Use the "forward-only" option.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B