SECURE Dynamic DNS

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jun 1 20:24:37 UTC 1999

>     While setting it up I was talking to several people on IRC who ran
> another DNS provider and one of them showed that it is possible to spoof
> the update packet hence makeing it possible for anyone to update the
> dynamic zone as long as they know which IP address to send the update
> packet from.

Yup.  Big problem.

>     I am looking for a method to protect from this problem, does anyone
> have any ideas.

How about using TSIG-authenticated dynamic updates?  BIND 8.2 supports them.
You'd have to configure the key on the updater and the server, and you might
have to write some client code to send a TSIG-signed dynamic update, but
that's all.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.