DNS MX Load Balancing???

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 28 23:09:43 UTC 1999

In article <7l8ssp$uej$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, CJS  <clifs at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I would like to load balance 2 Mail Servers via DNS.  I now have my 2
>mail servers listed as MX records with equal priority levels.  Example
>below:
>
>mydomain.com      IN MX 1    mail1.mydomain.com
>mydomain.com      IN MX 1    mail2.mydomain.com
>
>However, I have heard that some Message Transfer Agents (specifically
>bind 4.x) ignore the second server unless the first is down.  Is this
>true and if so is this the best way to load balance mail servers?

BIND 4.x isn't an MTA, it's a DNS server.

RFC 974 says that MTAs must select among equivalent MX records randomly.
Most mail servers follow this rule.

However, even if they don't, BIND's round-robin scheme should result in the
order of the records being randomly distributed, so MTAs that choose them
in order will still result in load balancing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com