Domain not yet mapped??

Michael Faurot look at my.sig
Mon Jun 28 19:47:48 UTC 1999

NK <treehug3 at REMOVE.THIShotmail.com> wrote:
:     I'm having a problem and was hoping you could help me. I have a box
: (209.35.120.1) and a domain (nowwire.com). What I want to do is - setup DNS
: so that I can name my box nowwire.com and make nowwire.com a nameserver. But
: my problem is this: If I want my box to be called nowwire.com, the
: nowwire.com nameserver at InterNIC has to be nowwire.com. However, if I
: don't have the domain nowwire.com pointed to my NS (because it's not setup
: yet because I want the name nowwire.com), I can't give the nameserver the
: name nowwire.com. Catch 22? That's what it seems like to me! A solution
: seems to me is to not name the nameserver temporarily (just keep it at
: 209.35.120.1, no mapped hostname) and register it under InterNIC, but can
: that be done? As far as I know you need a hostname for your NS too to
: register it.

I've recently gone through this same situation with bring up both a
new domain and the corresponding name servers to service that domain,
which will also be in the same domain.

Fortunately, all that you need to do is just fill out InterNIC's domain
registration form.  Where it asks for the primary and secondary servers,
just put in the IP address(es) and FQDN--even though that FQDN won't
resolve until you actually get the name server up and running.