8.2.1 multiple-cnames broken

Doug Siebert dsiebert at icaen.uiowa.edu
Fri Jun 25 16:15:09 UTC 1999

Version 8.2.1 seems to have broken multiple-cnames support.  I'm
currently running 8.1.2, and have multiple-cnames enabled.  This allows
me to set up a name that has several CNAMEs attached to it, each of
those is a round robin with a couple dozen IP addresses.  I can't put
them all in one record, because many resolvers can't handle more than
about 30 records returned.  But I want to round robin among them all (for
load balancing student logins to our workstations)  When I do repeated
lookups of these records under 8.2.1 I keep getting the same one
returned over and over again, so only 1/3 of my machines would get all
the remote user load.

Any chance of a patch for this without having to wait for the next
release?  I don't have any really compelling reason to go to 8.2.1, but
I like to stay current when possible.  I didn't go to 8.2 because of
compilation errors due to uninitialized variables that had me a bit
worried.  I reported that back in March and was told the fixes would be
in 8.2.1.  They were, but now I can't use it either :)

(I am mailing this to bind-bugs as well)

--
Douglas Siebert                Director of Computing Facilities
douglas-siebert at uiowa.edu      Division of Mathematical Sciences, U of Iowa

I plan to live forever, or die trying.