BIND 8.1.1 on Solaris 7 for sparc

SOLARlS at aol.com SOLARlS at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 19:38:45 UTC 1999

I am new to this list so I think I am sending it to the right pace.

I am the System Administrator for GT CONEX.  We are currently running a
network of Solaris 2.6 servers.  We are upgrading our name servers to solaris
7 which has bind 8.1.1 pre installed in the software package from sun. In our
solaris 2.6 name servers we are using bind 4.9.3 or 4.9.4, I am not sure
exactly which one.

How do I set up a BIND 8.1.1 name server if bind is already installed in the
OS software.  I am aware that I have to use /etc/named.conf instead of
/etc/named.boot for the dns file and I think I am still supposed to use
/var/named for the individual db files.

What is the difference in the format for bind 8.1.1?

Here is an example of how I have my dns set up right now.

This would be how I have my /var/named individual db files set up for bind
4.9.3, I need to know what the differences are for BIND 8.1.1.
;
;	websgt.db
;	$id$
;
@  IN  SOA  web60.websgt.net. webmaster.websgt.net. (
                        1999051236      ; serial - yyyymmddhh
                        28800           ; refresh after 8 hours
                        3600            ; retry after 1 hour
                        604800          ; expire after 1 week
                        86400 )         ; minimum TTL - 1 day

; Name Servers
                IN  NS  ns1.websgt.net.
                IN  NS  ns2.jtinternet.com.

;
websgt.net.                     IN MX   10 websgt.net.
localhost                       IN A       127.0.0.1
ns1.websgt.net.                 IN A    209.185.204.6
web60.websgt.net.               IN A    209.185.204.6
www.websgt.net.                 IN A    209.185.204.6
websgt.net.                     IN A    209.185.204.6
bandwidth.websgt.net.           IN A    216.32.58.188
merchantapps.websgt.net.        IN A    216.32.58.189
uc.websgt.net.                  IN A    209.185.204.85
ecomtest.websgt.net.            IN A    216.32.58.84

This is how I have my /etc/named.boot file set up for my primary dns name
server.  My backbone does my reverses so I don't have to worry about that.

directory       /var/named
cache           .                                    cache.db
primary         websgt.net                      websgt.db

This is how I have my /etc/named.boot file set up for my seconday dns name
server.  My backbone does my reverses so I don't have to worry about that.

directory       	/var/named
cache           	.
	cache.db
secondary         websgt.net                 209.185.204.6     	websgt.db

If someone can please give me examples of the differences for 8.1.1 are
please do.

Greg Tibbetts
GT CONEX Sys. Admin.
http://www.gtconex.com