root server access statistics

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jun 23 23:40:52 UTC 1999

> I wanted to share what I have been found. My DNS is
> located in Herndon, VA. This stats were collected in
> 12 day period. The following is the distribution of
> queries to the root servers from my server.
>
> Almost 30% of the time my DNS went to the west coast
> although there are 5 root servers on the east coast of
> US which are at most 20 miles away from me. In
> addition, my DNS consulted to servers in Sweden, UK
> and Japan, too. I thought it was interesting!
>
> Thanks Mark Andrews and Mike Voight for educating me
> on how BIND is choosing the root servers. I still
> think there can be improvements in BIND to choose
> closer root servers.

	named chooses the "fastest" servers.  If the fastest server
	is on the other side of the world it will use it.  Named
	sorts the response times into bands 128 ms wide. My bet would
	be that 'a', 'd' and 'f' are falling into the first band and
	that 'b', 'c' and 'h' the second.  You should be able to verify
	this with dig as it reports response time.

	Rtt Bands (ms): 0-63, 64-192, 193-320, 323-448

	Mark