dns newbie - lame server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jun 23 21:55:57 UTC 1999

Said Nurhussein wrote:
> I'm new to dns and would like your help in understanding what the
> following
> error means, whether it is  useful to have on (see lots of msgs like it
> in Solaris system messages file) , and how is it turned on/off:
>
> -------------------------
> Jun 22 13:57:48 ibis named[15488]: Lame server on 'ireland.fedstats.gov'
> (in 'FE
> DSTATS.gov'?): [198.6.1.82].53 'AUTH02.NS.UU.NET': learnt
> (A=198.41.0.10,NS=192.
> 5.5.241)
> -----------------------------

A "lame server" is a server which is delegated a domain for which it
does not believe that it's authoritative.  It's useful to have these
messages, if you are either the delegator or the delegatee.  You can
also send messages to the responsible hostmaster.

> Also do you recommend any good dns documentation / tutorial site
> for a beginner?

DNS and BIND, Third Edition, Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu, O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc., Sep. 1998, ISBN 1-56592-512-2.

Also the on-line docs available with the distribution - although some
is quite old, for v4 rather than v8.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B