BUG? First time ndc restart with bind 8.2.1

Steinar Haug sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jun 23 21:34:17 UTC 1999

["A.R."]

|   i have found the ndc restart script even in 8.2 to be unreliable
|   even at times real crappy...

Note that in 8.2 ndc is a program not a shell script. It uses a different
method to communicate with the named process by default.

If you can give some more details about what system you're running on and
in which way you've found ndc to be unreliable, people might be able to
help you.

|   > This is a heads-up.  I don't know if it is per-se a bug.
|   >
|   > I compiled and installed bind 8.2.1 on a FreeBSD 2.2.7
|   > nameserver that was running bind 4.9.7-T1B.
|   >
|   > Rather than kill the old named process I did:
|   >
|   >   # ndc restart
|   >
|   > The old process was not killed.  The new process decided it
|   > couldn't bind to the ports and sat there doing nothing.

If you use "ndc -p /var/run/named.pid restart" you would probably get
the desired effect. The reason is that, as stated above, ndc in 8.2 by
default uses a different method to communicate with named.

I'm not sure I'd classify this as a bug either.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no